They say that the best way to spot counterfeit money is to spend your time studying and handling the real stuff! The genuine and original is always better than the copy as it has real value and worth. Hebrews 1 tells us that Jesus is the real deal. In verses 1-4 we’re told 8 incredible things about Jesus.
(1) He is Son of God
(2) the heir of all things
(3) All creation was made through Him
(4) He is the radiance of God’s glory
(5) The exact representation of God (no copies here!)
(6) He purifies us from sin
(7) He sustains all things
(8) He sits at the right hand of God the Father
Wow! Take a moment to reflect on each of those. Hebrews wants to make it absolutely clear that Jesus is greater than all things, because he is the creator of all things! He is even greater than the most supernatural of created beings; angels. Paul was clear in Gal. 1:8 that if even an angel were to come to you with a counterfeit message they were to be under the wrath of God. Rather, it is the gospel message that is found in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, for the forgiveness of sin that we are to hold on to. Angels are Christ’s servants, sent to minister to those who have received His salvation. Angels are incredible, but they are servants of Jesus, the one who is far greater and who is the inheritance of our salvation (vs. 14, Eph 1:11).
- How is Jesus superior to His angels? (look at vs. 5, 6 and 14)
- Hebrews 1 teaches us that Jesus is stronger than anything, “sustaining all things by his powerful word” (vs. 3) and that His authority and strength “will last forever and ever” (vs. 8). What is the difference between relying on Jesus for life’s challenges to relying on yourself, or even other things?
- What does it mean to inherit salvation?
- How does Hebrews 1:1-14 encourage you as a believer?
Father God, thank you for sending your Son Jesus, the original and best, the creator and heir of all things. Help me to put my trust in Jesus daily to sustain and strengthen me as I serve you. Amen